Peppermint Hot Cocoa - Chocolate and Sweet Goodness!!
There is nothing like that fresh cup of peppermint hot chocolate for the first time of the season. On most nights a packet of instant cocoa with a peppermint candy cane or drop is the way to go, leaving as much time as possible to savor the sweet, snap of the peppermint against the lovely, rich chocolate. However, for that first cup there is nothing like the slow simmer of warmed milk and melted chocolate, topped with that tinge of red from the peppermint candy that has melted into the decadent lovely flavor. On that first night, the time it takes to make the concoction is a delight. Paired with a couple of shortbread cookies, this is truly the start of the season.
For that perfect cup –
1 cup milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
A touch of sea salt
1/3 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
1 or 2 peppermint candies of choice
1. Start by combining the milk, cream, and salt in a small pan over medium heat. You want to keep stirring constantly so that the milk will not scorch. Bring the temperature down to a simmer once it has reached boiling, and then keep stirring until bubbles form on the side of the pan, it is time to go to the next step.
2. Remove from heat, and add that lovely pile of semisweet chocolate. Use a whisk and whisk until everything has melted and it is creamy. Pop in one of the peppermint candies.
3. Pour into a cup, topped with whipped cream, reds or green sprinkles – or both!
4. Up in that second candy if you are using to, just for a little pop of extra flavor.
5. Enjoy the rich indulgence with a good book and a couple of Christmas cookies!